Match Centre - December 2, 2017 - 2:00 pm

BT East Regional League Division 2 

Langholm RFC
Inverleith RFC

@ Arboreteum Road

Match Details

Langholm 1st XV 60 – 0 Inverleith 1st XV
2nd December 2017 – Miltown

Team: 15. F Doonan, 14. S MacLachlan, 13. S MacPherson, 12. J Jablonski, 11. S Hanlon, 10. M Mackenzie, 9 A Beveridge, 8 S Boendermaker, 7. P McCaskey, 6. X Pieron, 5. S Jablonski, 4. S McCullough, 3. L Wilde, 2.M Razeto, 1. D O’Sullivan. Reps. 16. C Willlliamson, 17. C Robson*& 18 S Dalton* (* Subs used)

Apologies for the delay in publishing this report, afraid I couldn’t find my notes. A long hall to Langholm at the beginning of December isn’t what a lot of people fancy and with the lack of players available obviously a lot of people felt this. Hats off to those who did travel, especially those of the bus (sponsored by Wilson & Ward) who almost made it to England before managing to fins Langholm. Their “diversion” meant that the match was 20 minutes late kicking off, fortunately the backup pitch we were using hat lights to aid the completion of the game.

We played well for the first 10 minutes or so, holding onto the ball and recycling well. We were, unfortunately, doing this in our own half. When Langholm got the ball they moved it well and we were caught short on the left where their winger had a clear run into the corner for an unconverted try. This unfortunately became the pattern of the half with us having good spells but not particularly bothering the Langholm try line. The second try came about 5 minutes later with the Langholm back row making a break through some poor tackling and feeding the supporting winger for the score. This one was converted and we were 12-0 down after 15 minutes. We then had a further good spell, holding onto the ball for long periods but not making much headway. A knock on at the back of our scrum saw frustration bubble up as Paul was penalised for kicking the ball away. Langolm kicked to the corner and won the lineout. The ball was moved to the right and our tackling again let us down as they crossed for a converted try. With 6 minutes of the half left we were sucked into the middle and our lack of cover out wide was exposed as Langholm crossed for a further converted try. Just on half time our tackling let us down once more as Langholm crossed for an unconverted try to make it 29-0 at half time.

A jinky run through the midfield after 5 minutes saw Langholm score under the posts with the conversion making it 36-0. Shortly afterwards we were outflanked again as Langholm scored an unconverted try in the corner. We then roused ourselves for our best spell in the game as we finally attacked in the red zone. Forward efforts to cross for what would have been a deserved try were frustrated by some poor refereeing decisions the allowed Langholm to collapse 2 driving mauls and infringe offside repeatedly. Sometimes it is just not your day and we remained scoreless as Langholm scored a further 3 tries, 2 of which were converted to make it 60-0 at the end.

A lot of good effort from our forward in particular with the front 5 driving well in the scrum. The man of the match could have gone to any of our front row but, for me, Diarmuid just shaded it.

David Brennan