RDVC 1st XV 17-17 Inverleith 1st XV

OCTOBER 14, 2017, 2:30 PM
Arboreteum Road
1st XV
Match Report
RDVC 1st XV 17-17 Inverleith 1st XV
14/10/17 – Peffermill

Team: 15. F Doonan, 14. J Tocher, 13. S McPherson, 12. J Jablonski, 11. S McLauchlan, 10. M Mackenzie, 9. S Hainey (V Capt), 8. S Hughes 7. P McCaskey, 6. C Winthrop, 5. S Jablonski, 4. S McCullough, 3. M Razeto, 2. R Duncan (Capt.), 1. S Boendermaker. Reps. 16. L Wheelan, 17. R Davidson, 18. M Brydon*, 19. C Donaldson * & 20. S Dalton (* Subs used)

This was a combined league and Shield fixture and a bit of a must win to stop our recent run of poor results. Things weren’t helped by the non-arrival of Jim Black forcing us to ask Simon Boendermaker, normally a flanker, to start at loose head prop. Simon’s performance, one of the brighter aspects of the match, not only secured him the official “man of the match” award but also ensured that he now has a new position to offer having become one of the elite members of the rugby fraternity, “the front row!”

The game was played on the main pitch at Peffermill and it is about as wide as our pitch is long and the pre match concern amongst the visiting spectators was that the young fit students would make good use of it. Fortunately for us, they didn’t, with passes failing to reach the wings on several occasions. We started relatively well and Stephen kicked a penalty after 3 minutes to give us the lead. Optimism was short lived as we failed to do anything that had been practiced at training. Early errors and head knocks brought about a re-shuffle in the backline in the first quarter which saw Campbell come on at 9, with Stewart moving to 10, Matt on in the centre with Jacob moving to the wing following the removal of Murray and Jamie. A burst by Matt through the centre was the highlight of this period but after about 30 minutes we finally started to get the forward drives working and were rewarded when Seb crashed over after a period of pressure. Stephen’s successful kick put us 0-10 up. Optimism was short lived as we lost the ball from the re-start and the RDVC raced through the middle of some very poor tackling to score a converted try. The home side had their tails up now and were rewarded with a penalty with 2 minutes of the half remaining. The successful kick levelled the score at 10 all.

Early 2nd half pressure by RDVC saw Stewart given a yellow for a deliberate knock down. We were made to pay for this as the students crossed for their 2nd converted try to take the lead at 10-17. Moving into the last quarter we finally displayed some urgency and energy and after some pressure Stewart made amends for his yellow and crossed for our second try. Stephen’s conversion made it all square with about 15 minutes to go. Unfortunately, for all our huffing and puffing, we didn’t hold onto the ball long enough to score again and extra time in respect of the Shield match, or so we thought, was up next.

With the league match decided as a draw everyone, apart from the referee now expected 10 minutes each way to decide the Shield result. Unfortunately the referee had received prior to the match some wrong information that stated that in the event of a draw the match would be decided firstly by score, then number of tries scored, then red cards and finally yellow (toss of a coin if that all even?). This should all have related to a draw after extra time and not the regulation 80 minutes. What happens now rests with the East Region Championship Committee!

The performance showed that there is work to be done before we can get back to playing as well as our early season form. It cannot be done if players don’t come to training so a big turnout is required to ensure we record a home win next Saturday against Dalkeith.

As already stated the Official Man of the Match award went to Simon Boendermaker. Congratulations Simon (now one of the special people).

David Brennan (Former special person)